observed by Diane » photo journal for those who enjoy vignettes of an ordinary life

The Value of Individuality :: Photography & Art, in particular

“… why are you trying so hard to fit in, when you’re born to stand out?” ~ Oliver James

individual rural tree in photographic art

My mother always encouraged my individuality and when she wasn’t encouraging it, she faithfully stood back and let me forge ahead to adventure, experiment, and learn from that path. I embraced that same approach when raising my son. My mother wisely valued individualism in its many manifestations. I’m so glad I’ve followed her lead. Individuality comes in many forms, and attempts to squash individuality come in many guises. As a person who makes her living creating art, I am continually finding myself in a position where I am justifying to others the value of art (and photography  — fine custom photography — is art). Art, regardless of the medium, is something that should be valued because it is unique, one-of-a-kind, and therefore has a higher value because of the quality components involved in creating that art. Those components include the person who created the art as well as everything else that goes into its creation.

That brings me to an article I strongly urge you to read. The article “Art and Mass Production” by contemporary artist photographer Roberta Murray, is well worth the 5 minute read. She makes such valid points for all of us to seriously consider. As she concludes in her one page article, “In order for people to believe in and value art, it has to start with educating society on the value and importance of art. But maybe even more than that, it has to start with individuality being valued.”

“The man who follows the crowd will get no farther than the crowd. A man who walks alone is likely to get places no one has ever been before.” ~ Alan Ashley-Pitt

fine art orchid
Whether you are purchasing original art (painting, sculpture, custom or fine art photography for example), attending live theatre or dance, or purchasing hand made crafts YOU are supporting art and individuality — bravo.

Tweet thisFollow me on TwitterPin thisshare on Facebook
Frida - April 13, 2010 - 2:12 pm

I love the quote and it’s so true. Beautiful orchid picture.

Carla - April 13, 2010 - 4:19 pm

Thank for this important piece and the link to the Murray article. I love your work. You are truly an artist in every sense of the word. I’m so grateful to my mother for teaching me the value of art…in all forms.

Marcie - April 13, 2010 - 5:16 pm

I read that piece written by Roberta Murray..couldn’t have agreed more. What lovely images you’re showing here.

JoLyn - April 13, 2010 - 5:47 pm

Well said, Diane! My son is planning to major in Art in college–I’ve always tried to encourage and support him along the way. It’s been fun to see his progress. I think pursuing any form of art (painting, drawing, music, photography) takes a certain amount of confidence–to have courage in expressing that individuality and know that it has value.

kyungmee - April 13, 2010 - 10:14 pm

beautiful!!! Thank you!

sherri - April 14, 2010 - 12:12 pm

Loved your thoughts here and also reading what Roberta had to say. She’s an insightful and talented lady. Both of these images are just beautiful, but for some reason the top one feels personal to me. Just feels like childhood or home…wherever that is.

Bob Towery - April 14, 2010 - 4:15 pm

Wow, a very different and gorgeous image. Love the tones, and especially the clarity of the flowers themselves. All around AWESOME!

Silvia - April 16, 2010 - 8:53 am

Wonderful images, Diane! Thanks for the link Murray’s article.

[…] of you may recall my recent post discussing the value of purchasing original works of art. Whether you consider something from me or from any other artist, when you support original works […]

Sue - February 20, 2011 - 10:22 am

Loved the orchid piece and enjoyed reading both your thoughts and Roberta Murray’s thoughts on “art.”